Sunday, July 31, 2011

In case you ever wondered .....

what bear scat (aka bear poop) looks like. This is fresh from the trail behind our apartment. Mineral Creek is behind the trail and while not a lot of salmon migrate there, enough do to increase the bear population at this time of the year. Best I could tell from a distance (thank you to whoever invented the close-up lens) it contained no jingle bells and did not smell like pepper spray. I do think berries were involved, though.


                This sign is posted by the B.C Fish and Wildlife Branch








Our lesson for the day is the word "scat" - funny word with some very diverse meanings. Ella Fitzgerald was a "scat singer" for example. We have an interesting and strange language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat_singing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you would have heard the statement "does the bear sh!t in the woods".

The Ozzies use it all the time when pointing out the obvious. Now your pic is displayed in my office to remind all and sundry what it looks like. Well it'll be displayed until I am told otherwise.

Super, just love it/. Roxy